IGN revealed the first official details for WWE 2K16 on Gameplay and Game Modes. Here they are below:
Chain grappling is back, and there are more transitions and moves now to reflect the abilities of the wrestlers involved. Chain grapples are also now impacted more by your wrestler's attribute values, and there can even be ties, resulting in breaks or cheap parting shots.
"Working" grapples have been added, where the initiating wrestler can rest up and get some stamina back while draining his opponent's. It's a neat way of taking an element of in-ring performance and turning it into a useful gameplay mechanic.
Reversals have long been a tough to balance element, either turning matches into a never-ending chain of non-moves, or being so tricky to use that one player ends up watching helplessly as they get beat to a pulp for minutes at a time. This year, two huge changes to how reversals work may actually solve the issue once and for all.
- You start each match with a limited stock of reversals. Once you use one, it will slowly regenerate over time, meaning that if you try to counter every move thrown your way, you'll be out in no time flat, leaving you completely vulnerable until one regenerates.
- What's more, you can now pass on your initial chance to reverse a move at its startup, and instead attempt a mosre difficult to time "major" reversal mid-move. It will cost you two reversal stocks, but the effects can be match-changing, debuffing your opponent in a variety of possible ways and giving you time to really turn things around.
There are more significant additions to WWE 2K16 that are either all-new, or a much needed return for something WWE 2K15 was missing:
- MyCareer is back, and this time it goes a lot further, all the way to you gaining admission to the WWE Hall of Fame.
- Create a Diva, Create a Show, Create an Arena, and Create a Championship are back in!
- WWE Universe: Wrestlers can now be booked to multiple shows
- Online has been "overhauled."
- Three-man commentary team, with John "Bradshaw" Layfield joining King and Cole.
- Ladder, handicap, and tornado tag match types added back in.
- No loading screens between entrances, and you can assault opponents during their entrance!
- Improved ref and manager AI.