- Game Series WWE Games
- Release Date September 18, 2020
- Platforms PC WindowsPlayStation 4Xbox OneGoogle StadiaNintendo Switch
- Publisher 2K Sports
- Developer Saber Interactive
BRAWL WITHOUT LIMITS
WWE 2K Battlegrounds is a completely new WWE gaming experience that features arcade-style action and over-the-top WWE Superstar designs, environments, and moves.
The game is easy to pick up and play for everyone, but challenging to master, with advanced techniques to be learned and skills to be unlocked, so players of all skill levels can enjoy the action.
WWE 2K Battlegrounds is developed by Saber Interactive, the studio behind NBA 2K Playgrounds, and features a Roster of more than 70 WWE Superstars and Legends at launch, as well Custom Superstars.
Brawl with friends and family in your favorite local and online Match Types with an arsenal of exaggerated maneuvers, special abilities, and devastating power-ups, battling in interactive environments featuring explosions, electrified cages and more - all while Mauro Ranallo and Jerry “The King” Lawler call all the multiplayer mayhem! Are you ready to enter the battleground?
Eight unique Battlegrounds Arenas play a major role in the action, many of them featuring interactive elements adding to the mayhem alongside a variety of outrageous melee weapons players can use to pummel opponents. Soar from military helicopters, smash opponents with cars in an auto shop and toss them into the jaws of a hungry alligator in the swamp.
WWE 2K Battlegrounds Release Date & Pre-Order Bonus
WWE 2K Battlegrounds released on September 18, 2020 for the following platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC Windows, and Google Stadia. Whilst it will not be released on Xbox Series X, the Xbox One version of the game has been confirmed to be playable on that console via backwards compatability on the game's English cover. It is not known yet if the PS4 version can be played on the PlayStation 5 via the same method.
Players who pre-order the Standard Edition ($39.99) will receive WWE Hall of Famer Edge at launch. The Digital Deluxe edition ($49.99) includes Edge, as well as all versions of “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, The Rock and Ronda Rousey unlocked at launch, plus 1100 bonus Golden Bucks, in-game currency that can be used to unlock Superstars, as well as cosmetic items.
WWE 2K Battlegrounds Roster
WWE 2K Battlegrounds will feature a Roster of more than 70 WWE Superstars and Legends at launch, offering fan favorites of all generations, with more unlockable Superstars to come via free updates in the future.
Each Superstar utilizes one of five class styles, and each class style has its own combat moves, strengths and weaknesses. Choose from the Powerhouse, Technician, High-Flyer, Brawler and All-Rounder to find the style that works best for you.
Arcade-style powerups, such as Flaming Fist, Ice Breath and Earthquake, are accompanied by colorful visual effects, offering extra excitement and an additional dimension of strategy that can quickly change the direction of a match.
The game features 142 playable characters; See the full WWE 2K Battlegrounds Roster section for more details.
WWE 2K Battlegrounds Game Modes
In Exhibition matches, you can play as and against WWE Superstars. You can play Exhibition matches as men or as women, but women cannot play against men.
Exhibition matches can be played single-player against the AI, up to 4 players local at home or online.
There is a wide variety of Match Types within Exhibition mode including 1v1, Tag Team, Triple Threat, Fatal Four Way, Steel Cage Match, Royal Rumble and more.
Campaign Mode (Single Player)
A single-player mode where the user competes against real WWE Superstars. The story is told through comics as you add to your stable of superstars to beat the next challenge. Play as one of the 7 newly created Superstars like Bolo Reynolds and Jessica Johnson.
The story is divided into several regions; new regions are unlocked progressively when the user completes the previous ones. Each region features its own arena and playable superstar. The user unlocks an assortment of game content (superstars, power-ups, vanity items, etc.) while playing campaign matches and achieving campaign goals.
Join the adventures of seven new WWE hopefuls - created exclusively for WWE 2K Battlegrounds - in Campaign mode and compete for the chance to earn a WWE contract. Along the way, you’ll unlock new arenas, while receiving guidance from legendary personalities including “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and Paul Heyman.
Note: In the campaign mode you cannot play as WWE Superstars, just against them.
Battleground Challenge (Single Player)
Brawl from the bottom all the way to the top!
Create your own Superstar and begin your own career. You can customize your Superstar however you want with items you unlock or can purchase in the store, including combat animations.
King of the Battleground (Online)
Take on all comers in the King of the Battleground, an Online last man standing mode where players compete in a free for all match where everyone is trying to eliminate their opponents and stay in the arena. The objective is to throw opponents out of the arena. The longer the user stays in the arena, the higher the score they earn.
In King of the Battleground, four players start in the ring while four more are waiting on the sidelines and will enter the arena when an opponent has been thrown out. Players dynamically matchmake into a live game. This mode keeps on going until all opponents have been thrown out of the arena.
Online Tournaments (Online)
Take the action online for rewards in a variety of time-limited tournaments featuring a wide range of win conditions. You never know when a new Battlegrounds tournament might be kicking off.
These will be online time-restricted events featuring a multi-round tournament with a custom match and rule-set. Each time the user wins a match, they get rewards.
- Superstar Creator: The user can create their own Superstar with a number of customization options including face, skin color, height, weight, clothing options and more. Change class style, body type, face, hair, eyes among other things.
- Battleground Creator: The user can create their own Arena to play matches in. The user can customize the arena with custom turnbuckles, ropes, skirts, and more.
- Gameplay includes common moves such as Running Hits, Aerial Techniques, Irish Whip, Pin, Submission, Counters / Reversals, Blocks, and Parry. See the full Controls Scheme.
- Classes: Each Superstar utilizes one of 5 Class Styles: Powerhouse, Technician, High-Flyer, Brawler and All-Rounder. Each class style has its own combat moves and throws.
- Power-Ups: In addition, all Superstars have access to arcade-style Power-ups. The player can choose which 3 powerups to bring into battle. They can be used during a match when the player has accumulated enough energy. Effects include health regeneration or doing enough damage with one punch to break the arena.
- Skill Trees: This is a system that allows the user to unlock different skills to improve performance and are composed of three branches: attack, defense, and charisma.
- Battlegrounds: Battle your way through 8 destructible Battleground Arenas. The action continues even when the ring is broken!
- Interactive Objects: The arenas contain different interactive elements that superstars can use to their advantage. Each one of them has a different mechanic. These are objects that can be found outside of the arena but within the gameplay area of the battleground. Soar from military helicopters, smash opponents with cars in an auto shop and toss them into the jaws of a hungry alligator in the swamp.
- Weapons: Superstars can use different weapons such as Steel Chair, Guitar, Kendo Stick, Motorcycle and a Toy Hammer.
- Crowd Bar: The crowd calls out for certain combat moves during a match and if the player performs them, they will earn extra points to get their crowd meter up. This can help when performing a pin or submission on an opponent because the crowd is behind the player more.
- Daily Challenges: The daily challenge system feeds challenge’s to the user to encourage them to explore the game. Such as “Play more games!” and “Apply a vanity item to your created superstar”
- Alt. Attires & Vanity items: Custom WWE Superstars can wear any vanity item. Real WWE Superstars only can wear specific outfits that they have worn in real life. Each Superstar has 2 alternative outfits/costumes which can be purchased.
- There are two types of currency in the game: Battle Bucks (earned in-game by playing) and Golden Bucks (purchased in the Store with real money).
- All game content can be unlocked with earned Battle Bucks such as WWE Superstars, vanity outfits, clothes, and custom arena items.
- To unlock content faster, Golden Bucks are available for purchase on the first party game stores.
- Purchase is optional and not required to unlock all available content